December 3, 2017

Diary Athens: Dec 01 - 08, 2017

Dec 08
Yesterday at 17.30 the plumber came by to turn on the gas boiler.  I set the thermostat to 18 degrees Celsius. It's working, yeah....
This morning another guy came to fix the west balcony doors.
Because of the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago, one piece of the wooden floor came up a bit
and threw the left side of the double doors out of alignment causing the other door not to close. It is closing now!
There are still quite  a few Iranian guys hanging out on Victoria Square, also Bulgarian and Romanian gypsies.
Building art

Dec 07
Every morning so far has been sunny, on some days the sky got covered in clouds, bur only one time it rained a little bit. When the sun is out I leave the balcony doors open, but the nights are getting colder. The gas company was supposed to come by yesterday by and activate the gas meter so that the radiators will work and there is heat in the apartment. Don't need heat during the day, but the nights are getting colder.
I waited all day yesterday, this morning i got an email that they are coming this morning. A mix up in dates...
Went running, keeping close attention to cars not yielding and not stopping for pedestrians walking across streets on green lights. Car is King in Athens....
 Syntagma Square was barricaded and a lot of police were on the streets this morning.
A demonstration today?

Dec 04
Lot of sunshine this morning. I walked from the apartment to Monastiraki. In several stores along the way I bought cleaning supplies for the apartment. From Monastraki I took the subway back.
In the aftyernoon it got cloudy.

Dec 03
Sun everywhere! It must be about 19 degrees Celsius. Went running.
New Route: Leforos Alexandras to Odos Kifissias and from there towards the National Gardens.  3 miles, the first mile going uphill...
Going to Hara's house later to pickup my bouzouki.

Dec 02
After getting up at 06.30, I rearranged stuff in the kitchen. Took the metro to Monastiraki and walked to the Agora Market for groceries.
 Olive oil, olives, bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta and a whole chicken. Back to the flat.
The apartment is 10 minutes walking from the Victoria Station. 4th floor, no elevator.
Living room, doors to balcony, east side  (balcony is 1 x 4 meter)
 Living room, facing west side
East side balcony (2.5 x 10 meters), Lunch there, wearing a T-shirt.
I also have use of the roof, with a view of the Akropolis....in the distance.

Dec 01: Schiphol - Athens
The airport is pretty empty, there is one place open for tea, coffee and there is free internet. The train ride to the airport from the Hague - HS took 30 minutes.
It is now 02.45, Transavia check-in starts at 03.30.
At Athens airport I am taking the Blue Metro line to Syntagma Square.
I need to get a monthly metro pass there.
I will take another metroline to Victoria Square, from there it is a 10 minute walk to the apartment I am renting.
After meeting the landlady I went to my friend Hara's House to pickup my stored suitcase. Went to bed at 20.30....

Nov 30: The Hague -  Schiphol
As I was packing my hand luggage, the zipper broke, the HEMA store did not have any suitcases large or small, I ended up using my brothers case. I also paid for hold luggage, 1 medium size backpack. Had tea with Jose, she had come back from Portugal the day before.
I managed to sleep between 21.30-23.30 before my brother drove me to the The Hague-HS train station  at 23.45. I had to wait until 01.32 for the night train to Schiphol airport. 

No comments: