December 11, 2017

Diary Athens: Dec 09 - 15, 2017

Dec 15
I go to bed around 21.00 and wake up around 05.00. I turn on the laptop and check email and news on the internet.On the days I am running I leave the apartment at 07.30 when it is light enough outside.  When I am not running I go out on the balcony with a big pot of tea. At 09.00 the sun rises above the apartment building across the street.  When I am not running I go out on the balcony with a big pot of tea.

Dec 12
I am glad that I brought a blue-tooth speaker with me. I can place the speaker anywhere in the apartment and the balconies. Here is a video of the apartment.

Dec 11
Apparently the weather in Holland is bad: snow and wind. Here in Athens, sunshine.
 I decided to try out a new route, one that does not involve sharing the road with cars and buses.
I took the subway from Victoria station to 1 stop past Monastiraki. Starting behind the Akropolis.This route also has 1 mile running uphill from the start. I will do the other route on weekends when there is less traffic.

Dec 10
Cooked lunch at Hara's house. It was going to be 6 people then it became 3 people and at the end it was 5. Except 2 of the 5 came later. Pasta with meat sauce.
Up early and to bed early. I'm reading a lot of Tim Powers: Last Call, Expiraton Date, Earthquake weather.

Dec 09
After running 5 km this morning,
I continued walking for 2 km behind the Akropolis
to Monastiraki.
I need to get groceries at the Agora market
Sides of pork, beef and sheep are hanging and on demand gets hacked to specification.
Different than in Holland where meat in the supermarkets is prepackaged. In Germany they got butcher shops inside the supermarket, like in the USA. But the hacking is done in the back, out of sight. I am not familiar how it is done in the UK.
The apartment buildings in Athens where built in the 1950, for Greek Christians expelled from Turkey. They are solidly built, with the upper floors stepped back. Greeks like big, functional balconies.
 A lot of solar water heaters
In between a lower building: old Athens from the 1930's.
It looks chaotic, but I like it. I don't like uniformity....



No comments: