December 23, 2017

Diary Athens: Dec 23 - 29, 2017

Dec 28
Clouds today. I did laundry yesterday and last night I still had socks hanging on the washing line on the balcony. Of course at 06.00 this morning it started raining. But I was already up and got the socks in, on time.
I walked from Monastiraki to Syntagma, I wanted to get a picture of the only Christmas tree in Athens.
Before I got there I passed the Orthodox Cathedral of Athens,
 In 2016 it was still being restored.
I went inside the small church on the right.
 And here is the Christmas tree.

Dec 27
Some but not all stores are open, but all government offices are closed, so are all archeological sites (Akropolis, Lykabettou, etc). Oh well, I''l sunbath, again....Laundry day today!
Back home, more and more clouds in the sky.

Dec 26
More stores and also the supermarkets are open, but the metro this morning was only half full, so a lot of Athenians are on holiday between Christmas and New Year.

Dec 25
Christmas day. All shops are closed, the metro is running. Blue skies, again. After running stayed home, on the balconies.

Dec 24
Sunny day yesterday and it was Sunday, the day before Christmas. That means that all the stores were open, and all Athenians are shopping and eating around Monastiraki.
Fleamarket near Thissio Station
Two stores have Christmas decorations

and there is a modern Christmas tree on Syntagma Square, and that is it. Greek religion is Greek orthodox, no Christmas as in Christ celebration as they do in Spain or Italy.
Malaga

Dec 24
Almost Christmas, so:
Flash Mobs!!




Dec 23
After 3 days of only clouds today some sunshine. It was quiet outside when I went running.
I have internet in the apartment. I like to look up video's of musicians that I enjoy, some from way back. Here two from Bonny Osborne. With his brother Sonny was known as the "Osborne Brothers". Still singing at 86.


2 comments:

Ga met Jos(m)é said...

Sonny or Bobby, what's in a name.

Hans Swets said...

Hi Jose,
terwijl ik het schreef zat ik te denken aan de band die hij had: de Osborne Brothers. Samen met zijn broer Sonny. Ik heb het gecorrigeerd....